You might be thinking that customer service for your auto, home or business insurance doesn’t cost anything, it’s include with the policy or policies you have purchased. Technically, you’re correct in that there’s no monetary cost from the insurer to process, maintain or provide customer service to the insured.
But, If you’ve ever had a bad customer service experience with a claim, bill, quote, policy change, question or concern, you know how frustrating that can be. Worse yet are those that don’t have a direct agent or insurance agency to contact and have to call an 800 number for help. On hold, routed to two or three different departments, maybe getting cut off and having to redial your experience all over again.
When calling an 800 number, you also don’t know the experience or credibility of the person addressing your question or concern. It could be an experienced representative that truly wants to help you, or a stressed out newbie who’s major concern is getting you off the phone. It’s really just rolling the dice as to the experience you will have.
You might have guessed that using an independent insurance agency is usually the better choice when it comes to more personalized customer service with agents and customer service representatives that you know and build relationships with over time. Usually, but not always, much depends on the agency protocols set in place to service clients in a timely and effective manner.
Attributes Of An Insurance Agency That Provides Excellent Customer Service
- Listening – Successful service starts with intent listening to gather all of the concerns, requests, details, and facts required to solve an issue or complete a policy change task.
- Asking Pertinent Questions – Having service professionals that are experienced and know the pertinent questions to ask the client on the first call in order to resolve the issue or policy change request.
- Urgency – All requests are not equal and some require urgent attention, especially if coverage is going to be or has been cancelled. Knowing the difference and handling these tasks as a priority is crucial.
- Communicating With Clients – Some tasks can be handled immediately where others can take several days or more. When an issue takes several days or more to complete, task follow up and periodic communication with clients is very important to set a customer’s mind at ease as well as assurance that the issue will be resolved.
- No Excuses – Customers should expect solutions to their issue, not excuses. The successful agency lets you know the how the task is being completed and the timeframe of resolution.
- Smiles – A customer with an insurance problem should never be greeted by a service representative that is either cold in manner or who makes them feel like an intrusion. Friendly and respectful service is the standard of a well run insurance agency.
So there isn’t a “fee or charge” for insurance customer service, but poor service can end up costing you in time, frustration, and even money if a policy issue is not resolved at all or not completed properly.
If you have any questions regarding auto, home and business insurance options, please contact us, we’re always glad to help. The NY Insurance Hub serves Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Latham, Cohoes, Watervliet, Clifton Park, Saratoga Springs, surrounding Capital Region areas and all of New York State from NYC to Buffalo.